This week I have been thinking about the name of Jesus, partly due to the fact that I have been listening to the new Hillsong song “Heaven and Earth” from the album No Other Name.
Many times, we as Christ-followers don’t take advantage of the benefits and access given to us by the name of Jesus. Instead we choose to wallow in our circumstances and stay down because the enemy is after us. Our faith is weak because we don’t work it to become stronger. When life happens (and it does), God wants us to remember that we have power in the name of Jesus.
If you knew someone rich and famous, wouldn’t you name drop if it meant the difference between life and death? Of course you would! Sometimes, in our lives, not using the power and authority given to us by the name of Jesus is the difference between life and death. God wants us to name-drop! He wants us to use His name! (not in vain, of course!) There, truly, is POWER in the name of Jesus.
Here are some scriptures to remind us how powerful the name of Jesus is:
- Provides Forgiveness for ALL our sins – “Peter replied, ‘Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” – Acts 2:38
- Gives Healing – “By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through Him that has completely healed him, as you can see. – Acts 3:16
- Provides Salvation – “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” – Acts 4:12
- Performs Signs and Wonders – “Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” – Acts 4:30
- Makes Demons Flee – “The seventy-two returned with joy and said, ‘Lord, even the demons submit to us in Your Name.’” – Luke 10:17
- Gives Authority over the Enemy – “I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.” – Luke 10:19
- Provides Safety – “The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” – Proverbs 18:10
- Allows Access to God the Father – “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” – John 14:6
- Makes Disciples – “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” – Matthew 28:18-19